Converse students who are ASCP-certified Medical Laboratory Technicians may earn a Bachelor of Science Degree with a major in Medical Technology. Students earning this major must complete all the requirements for a Converse degree, and they must make their own arrangements for appropriate certification examinations (refer to www.ascp.org for eligibility information). Students who are enrolled through the Converse International School are exempt from the AASCP-certified Medical Laboratory Technicians certifications.
Student Learning Outcomes for the Medical Technology Major:
Through completion of the Bachelor of Science Degree in Medical Technology, students will;
- acquire an intermediate understanding of the fundamental biomedical principles.
- acquire additional laboratory skills in biomedical sciences.
- develop communication skills in written and oral forms that are appropriate for medical technology professionals
Prior to beginning the Medical Technology Major, students must be either:
- an ASCP-certified medical laboratory technician, or
- have been enrolled through the Converse International School.
- Prior to taking any other courses in the program, students must complete Bio 190-191 (Introduction to Biological Science I and II) or the equivalent.
Each Converse student must earn a GPA of 2.0 or above in the major to graduate. The Medical Technology major GPA is calculated using all the required biology, chemistry, and mathematics courses taken at Converse. The calculation does not include prerequisite or recommended courses.
In addition to the academic requirements, all medical technology majors must complete an exit survey and a self-evaluation form by the first week of April of their senior year.
7 hours, from any 200-level or above biology courses at Converse. Microbiology and Immunology are not accepted.