Bachelor of Arts with a Studio Art Major
The mission of the Bachelor of Arts Degree in Studio Art combines the breadth and depth of a liberal arts curriculum with broad based exploratory studio practices.
Studio Art Program Goals
Upon graduation, the BA studio art major will be able to:
- Produce artwork that utilizes design elements and principles and creates artwork(s) in a variety of medium/media.
- Communicate personal concept(s) through a written artist statement, group exhibition, and personal website.
- Reference historic and contemporary art in relationship to their own and other artists’ works.
- Apply for a variety of career opportunities in art.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Students will be able to produce artwork that successfully utilizes design elements and principles and creates artwork(s) in a variety of medium/media.
- Students will be able to communicate their personal concept(s) through a written artist statement, group exhibition, and personal website
- Students will be able to reference historic and contemporary art in relationship to their own and other artists’ works.
- Students will be able to demonstrate the ability to apply for a variety of career opportunities including art residencies and/or graduate programs.
Forty-seven hours of coursework are required for the Bachelor of Arts in the studio art major with emphasis on the practice of art. ART 414: Senior Seminar and ART 415: Senior Exhibition are required. A double major in art history or a major outside the department is an option. An internship is recommended as part of the major. Students majoring in studio art must have an exhibition of their artwork during the senior year.
Studio art class times meet two hours per week per credit hour during fall and spring terms. Students should expect to spend three or more additional hours per class in weekly independent work. Class times are extended during short terms.
Advanced Studio Courses
Complete two courses selected from these beginning, intermediate, and advanced studio courses:
- Artists Books
- Digital Media
- Graphic Design
Experimental Learning Requirement
Complete at least one of the following: