Veterans Educational Benefits & Services

Eligible veterans can receive assistance by applying for education benefits through Converse’s VA Certifying Official in Student Financial Aid. The U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs is the only agency that can determine eligibility for and award this benefit. To determine eligibility, call the VA Regional Office at (888.442.4551), then contact Student Financial Aid at 864.596.9019 to obtain the appropriate forms for certification.

The following is a synopsis of Veterans Assistance (VA) Program Chapters. Chapter 30 The Montgomery Bill®. This program provides educational benefits to individuals entering military service after June 30, 1985. A form DD 214 Member 4 is required. Chapter 31 Vocational Rehabilitation for Service-Disabled Veterans. This program is for individuals who have a compensable service-connected disability and the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs determines that training and rehabilitation services are needed to overcome an employment handicap.

Chapter 35 Dependents Educational Assistance Program. This program is for dependents (spouse or children) of individuals who die or are permanently disabled from service-connected causes.

Chapter 1606 Montgomery G.I. Bill®-Selected Reserve. This program is available to members of the Selected Reserve, including the National Guard. A form DD 2384 (NOBE) is required.

Chapter 1607 Reserve Educational Assistance Program. This program is available to members of a reserve component who served on active duty on or after September 11, 2001, for a contingency operation. A form DD 214 or a copy of the orders is required.

Chapter 33 Post 9/11 Veterans Education Assistance Act of 2008. To be eligible, the service member or veteran must have served at least 90 aggregate days on active duty after September 10, 2001. A form DD 214 or a copy of orders is required.

G.I. Bill ® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at http://www.

Academic Requirements

A student receiving VA benefits is required to maintain the same academic progress standards to be considered in “good standing” by the University. See Academic Progress Standards in this Catalog. A student receiving VA benefits who are academically disqualified and subsequently relieved by the Vice President of Academic Affairs and allowed to register for classes must have documentation that the student has a reasonable likelihood to maintain satisfactory attendance, progress, and conduct in the future. This documentation is used to support a statement required to be submitted with the recertification of enrollment to VA.

Address Changes

VA students must notify the School Certifying Official of any address change by completing the address change form.

Advanced Payment Request

Converse University does not receive advance payment.

Class Attendance

VA students must adhere to the attendance policy established by the University. 

Drops and Withdrawals

VA students must report course drops or a term withdrawal to the School Certifying Official. To ensure timely notification to VA, reports will be run monthly to identify VA students who have dropped courses or withdrawn from the term. At the end of each semester, VA students who earn a grade of “F” are reported to VA with the last date of attendance.

Eligible Courses

VA students may receive benefits only for those courses that are required for graduation or are a prerequisite for courses required in the program of study. When additional courses beyond the courses required for graduation are needed to overcome a grade point deficiency, the additional courses may be approved with required documentation outlined in VA regulations.

Internet/Online, Hybrid, and Video Courses

Converse offers a variety of course delivery methods. Non-traditional course delivery methods are listed in the course schedule and on the University’s website. Converse expects students to participate in all instructional activities since these courses are comparable to resident (traditional classroom) courses. Converse requires that each course offered in one of these non-traditional formats meets prescribed academic standards.

Each course delivery method must include:

  • a provision for an assigned instructor;

  • a provision for instructor-student interaction on at least a weekly basis and a stipulation that this interaction is a regular part of the course program;

  • a statement that appropriate assignments are required for completion of the course;

  • a grading system similar to the system used for resident (traditional classroom) courses; a schedule of time required for the course that demonstrates that the student will spend at least as much time in preparation and training as is normally required for resident (traditional classroom) courses.

Non-punitive Grades/Mitigating Circumstances

Regulations prohibit payment of VA benefits for a course from which the student withdraws. Unless the student submits to VA documentation of mitigating circumstances, the student must repay to VA all the money paid to the student for the pursuit of that course from the start of the term - not just from the date the student dropped the course.

Prior Credit

VA students who have attended another college must submit all collegiate transcripts to the Converse Admissions Office for evaluation even if transfer credit is not requested.

Program Changes

VA students who change programs must complete a change of program form with the Registrar's Office and notify the School Certifying Official immediately. Credit hours earned that fulfill requirements in the new program must be transferred as required by regulations.

Repeated Courses

There is no limit on the number of times a course may be repeated for which a failing grade (or a grade that does not meet the minimum requirements for graduation) was received as long as the grade assigned to the repeated course at the end of the term is punitive.

Tutorial Assistance for Veterans

VA students may receive monetary assistance from the VA to pay for a tutor if one is required.

Veteran Administration Pending Payments

We will not impose any penalties including late fees, denial of access to classes, libraries, or other institutional facilities, or require that any covered individual borrow additional funds because of the individual’s inability to meet his or her financial obligations due to the delayed disbursement of funding from the VA under Chapter 31 or Chapter 33,  Army Tuition Assistance or ROTC Scholarships. If your tuition benefit does not fully cover your bill for the term, the difference must be paid prior to registration in subsequent semesters, but any amount due from the VA will not prevent registration.

Converse University School Certifying Official

Kimberly Johnson
Senior Financial Aid Counselor & Veterans Services Coordinator
Carnegie Hall, 101A

For more information on Veterans Services, please click here.